Frequently Asked Questions
I already have my own website. Can I integrate it with Music Teacher's Helper?
When you sign up for Music Teacher's Helper, you get your own professionally-designed studio website (even with the Free plan!) at http://[your-studio-name].musicteachershelper.com. This is where you and your students can go to login. Potential students can also register for your studio and be automatically entered in your account. If you already have a website at your own domain name, you have a few options for integrating it with Music Teacher's Helper.
- You may find that your Music Teacher's Helper studio website does everything that your current website does, and more. If so, you may want to simply redirect your existing website to your new Music Teacher's Helper website. You can do this through your domain registrar (ie. GoDaddy, etc.).
- If you have everything you want on your own website, and only want to use the "logged in" portion of Music Teacher's Helper, then you can put a login form to Music Teacher's Helper on your website so you and your students can login from your own website. View login form code and instructions.
- Or you may choose to use both websites. You could use one for information about your studio, and the other for existing students. It's up to you. You can put links from one to the other.
I run a studio with several teachers. Can Music Teacher's Helper work with this scenario?
Music Teacher's Helper was designed with the individual music teacher in mind, so it works best if used by only one teacher. However, we have created another program specifically to meet the needs of studios with multiple teachers. Please visit www.StudioHelper.com for more information.
- Why can't I log in?
There could be a number of reasons. The most common is a misspelled username or password. Remember that usernames and passwords are case sensitive, so "MyPassword" is not the same as "mypassword". If you have forgotten your login, you can reset your password and we'll send you a new one through email.
If you are a parent or a student, you will not be able to login unless your teacher has marked you as an "Active" student and your account has a username and password. Please check with your teacher for help with logging in.
If you are still having trouble logging in, feel free to contact us for support.
- What are your current users saying about Music Teacher's Helper?
See for yourself! Visit our Testimonials page to read how Music Teacher's Helper has made managing a private music studio so much easier for teachers like you!
- I live outside the United States. Can I still use Music Teacher's Helper?
Absolutely! Teachers from all over the world use Music Teacher's Helper, and we allow you to send invoices and amounts in your own currency, as well as change the date format. To change your time zone, date, and currency settings, click the "Settings" link at the top after you login.
- When my students login, they can't see how much they owe. Why not?
As a teacher, you have the ability to give each of your students a login, as well as the parents. However, only adult students and parents will have access to financial information. Child students who login will only be able to see their lesson schedules and the notes you've left them.
If you want all students in a family to see financial information, you can simply create one login for the parent, and give that same login to all students in the family.
- This site does everything I want! Except...
We are constantly working to improve and expand Music Teacher's Helper to meet the needs of music teachers world-wide. If there is a feature you would like to see added to Music Teacher's Helper, please don't hesitate to let us know. We may even be working on it right now! Some of our most useful features have come from teacher requests. Visit our Support page for help with contacting us.
- What is Music Teacher's Helper's mailing address?
Music Teacher's Helper
179 N 1200 E Suite 102
Lehi, UT 84043
Please be aware that we don't accept checks or paper mail.
- Is Music Teacher's Helper a program I buy and install?
No. Music Teacher's Helper is a website, so you don't need to install anything on your computer in order to use it. Web-based software has several advantages over software you need to purchase and install:
- You don't have to worry about losing everything if your computer crashes, since it's all backed up for you automatically on multiple servers with top of the line security.
- If you get a new computer, you don't have to take the time to transfer all of your Music Teacher's Helper data to the new computer, or reinstall any programs - it's already there on the web.
- When there are new features or enhancements, you get them instantly, without having to purchase or install updates.
- It will run on a PC, Mac, Linux, mobile phone, or anything that has an Internet connection and a modern web browser.
- You and your students can both access it at any time from anywhere.
- The software can automatically send reminder emails, invoices, and more to your students while you're sleeping.
- Students can pay you online with their credit card.
It's easy to see why companies all over the world are switching to web-based software over stand-alone applications. A good example of this is Google's on-line word processor and spreadsheet programs.
- Do I have to be connected to the Internet to use Music Teacher's Helper?
Yes, and this is one of the things that makes Music Teacher's Helper so powerful! Having your information stored online means that you and your students and their parents can access lesson, payment, and other information from anywhere that has an Internet connection - home, work, school, library, anywhere!
There's no messy software to install on your computer, and your information is secured, protected, and backed up each day, so you don't have to worry about losing data to computer crashes.
If you want access to your data when you are off-line, Music Teacher's Helper does allow you to export your student, lesson, and billing data at any time to an Excel spreadsheet, which you can view when you are off-line.
- What if my students don't use the Internet or Email?
No problem! Music Teacher's Helper was really made for teachers, more than for students. Some things can be simplified if your students login to see their schedules and amount owed, etc., but Music Teacher's Helper can do so much for you even if you are the only one using it.
As a teacher, you'll be able to track payments you've received, manage your teaching schedule, keep a student contact list, and run reports for taxes and other reasons. You can also print invoices for your students to give them when they come to their lessons. It's the easiest way to manage your studio and gives it a professional edge.
- How safe is my information? Isn't it dangerous to store personal information online?
It can be dangerous to store certain information online. However, most hackers are not interested in breaking into a system unless there are credit card numbers to steal, or other useful information. We do not store any credit card data on our servers, but do all of our processing through world-leading credit merchants, Authorize.net and Paypal.
You may also be worried about someone seeing your studio information, with your students' phone numbers and addresses, or how much money you're making teaching lessons. Don't worry! Our server and database are protected and secured using industry standard technology and encryption. However, any account is only as secure as its password, so we recommend choosing a strong password). All passwords on the server are encrypted as well, so even we can't tell what your password is.
- Will Music Teacher's Helper work with my computer?
If you are reading this page right now in a web browser, the answer is probably yes. Because Music Teacher's Helper is a web site, it will work on Windows, Mac, Linux, and even some mobile phones - basically any computer that has a modern web browser. You don't need to install anything to use it. Just go to the website and login.
As far as browsers, we using the Mozilla Firefox browser, since it is currently the leading browser in security and features. But Music Teacher's Helper will also work in other browsers such as Google Chrome, Safari, Opera, and Internet Explorer 7+.
- Do I have to sign a contract? Is this a long-term commitment?
Nope. Everything is month to month. You can cancel any time without a penalty or cancellation fee of any kind. However, if you cancel mid-term, we do not offer refunds for partially paid months.
- What payment options are available for my account?
We accept all major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover), as well as Paypal.
To choose your payment method, go to the "My Account" page after you login to your account. If you are on the Free plan or a Free trial, submitting your payment information will end any Free period, and begin charging you for your subscription on a monthly basis. You can cancel any time also from the My Account page.
- My studio is growing! How do I upgrade my account?
Congratulations! Professional studios do tend to attract more students. You can upgrade your Music Teacher's Helper subscription by clicking the "My Account" button at the top of the page once you're logged in. There you can select the plan you want to upgrade to. We will never charge you with a "set-up" or extra "one-time" fee when you upgrade.
- What if I want to cancel my subscription?
You can cancel your Music Teacher's Helper subscription any time. The easiest way is to click the "My Account" link at the top after you login, and choose the option to cancel your account. There are no cancellation fees or other charges. You may also want to consider downgrading to a more affordable plan so you can continue to use Music Teacher's Helper and keep your studio website, and your existing student and billing records. When cancelling, it would be helpful for us to know why you want to cancel your subscription so that we can improve the service for other teachers.
But we're pretty confident that once you start using it, you won't be cancelling (well, maybe when you retire). The teachers who use Music Teacher's Helper to manage their studios, absolutely love it! See our testimonials page to read about how Music Teacher's Helper has helped other teachers like you.
Have a different question?
If you didn't find the answer to your question here, please check out our Support page, which gives you additional ways to find answers to your questions. Or if you're ready to give Music Teacher's Helper a try, click here to create your free account and check it out!